Note on product naming: As of 2022, Bananatag is Staffbase's Employee Email product.
In This Article
Enable a Custom Domain
Employee Email uses a redirect URL to track link clicks, files, survey events, and a similar system for the open-tracking component of your emails.
This is typically done with one of the following generic domains, depending on what hosting your organization uses:
- US hosting - https://s.bl-1.com or https://s2.bl-1.com
- EU hosting - https://es.de.bl-1.com
You can customize this domain to better suit your organization’s branding. This can also help reduce potential issues related to internal phishing training programs.
What would this look like?
The tracking pixel component (.gif file) will also be hosted under this custom domain.
Your IT team can set up a custom domain with these simple steps:
- Create a CNAME record that points to Bananatag (now Employee Email).
- Once the subdomain is selected and created, point it to custom-domain-2.bananatag.com.
- Once completed, contact us with the CNAME details to confirm it is set up correctly on our side.
- We will provide you with an additional CNAME record to be added that will allow Amazon Web Services (via ACM) to issue a public certification.
- This certification allows for HTTPS.
- The certificate can be revoked at any time by removing the DNS record.
- Click here for more information about public certifications.
Your custom domain will be available once the second record has been added.
- Do not replace custom-domain-2.bananatag.com with your own link, but rather ensure that custom-domain-2 is set up as a TARGET (or) VALUE for the CNAME that you create.
- In cases where internal DNS records are maintained, organizations will need to update these records to avoid a "page cannot be displayed" error when using tracked links.
- You can pick any domain name you like as long as it does not include special characters. Special characters will function in URLs.
- Subdomain: We highly recommend using a subdomain. To route traffic to our tracking service, the designated domain needs to be configured with a DNS record (CNAME). If you opt for a Top Level Domain (TLD), it must be explicitely intended for email tracking purposes.
Example: For tracking, we use requests to a GIF image. If you use a TLD, such as example.com, then example.com must redirect to our service so that example.com/tracking.gif or any path variants reach the correct location for it to work. For that reason, we strongly recommend using a subdomain that you can easily control and redirect to our service without impacting the remaining sections of your domain.
- Certificates: All tracking requests (GIF image) are carried out using standard HTTPS. To ensure secure communication, we register a public SSL certificate from AWS for the subdomain. Additionally, we provide the customer with a CNAME record to validate the public certificate.
Please sign in to leave a comment.