Staffbase allows you to publicly distribute your app as an unlisted app on the Apple App Store. As an unlisted app on the App Store, your app is discoverable only with a direct link. Apple offers this option for iOS devices through the App Store infrastructure.
The unlisted app distribution is ideal for your organization if you want to distribute your app to:
- A limited audience
You want to distribute your app to a limited audience. For example, you do not want customers to download your employee-facing app. In this case, the unlisted app is only available via direct link and is not discoverable by browsing or searching the App Store.
- Employee-owned devices
Your employees have self-owned devices that are not eligible to be managed via Apple Business Manager or Mobile Device Management.
- The public audience
You prefer a public distribution method over a private one, such as the Apple Business Manager.
- Multiple countries
You are a global organization and want to distribute your app to multiple countries with ease.
Benefits of Unlisted App Distribution
The following are the advantages of using unlisted app distribution:
- Only available via direct link
- Not discoverable on App Store via browsing or searching, and not listed under any App Store categories, charts, or other app-related listings
- Unlisted app link can also be connected to a Mobile Device Management
- Downloading and updating the app feels the same as using the regular App Store distribution method
- Swift and easy onboarding
- Available in all countries where an App Store is available
Requesting an Unlisted App Link
There are two ways you can request an unlisted app:
For a hassle-free review process and distribution, you can choose to distribute your unlisted app from the Staffbase Apple Developer Program account. In this method, Staffbase manages your app distribution and can provide you with additional custom approaches to help you request an app.
Reach out to your Customer Success Manager and inform them of your decision, they will recommend the best option that suits your business requirements.
On your own
You can opt for this method if you want to manage the app reviews and complete the administration of your app distribution using your organization's Apple Developer Program account.
- Your app must be in one of the following stages:
- Already on the App Store
- Ready for final distribution and submitted to App Review. It must include a note in the Review Notes section stating that the app is intended for unlisted distribution
- You need to have an account on Apple Developer Program.
- Contact your IT department to confirm this is the best solution for your organization.
- Submit a request for unlisted app distribution.
The App Store will process your request, and you can generally expect the results in 5 business days.
How Your Users Will Download the Unlisted App
Once Apple approves your request, you will receive the link to your unlisted app. The unlisted app link is set up like other App Store apps. You can provide your users with the link. When your users click the link, the app's product page opens, and they can download the app.
Please sign in to leave a comment.