In This Article
- How to import your organization’s Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) groups to use as Staffbase Email distribution lists.
- How to exclude contacts from being imported based on their attributes.
- You have access to your organization’s Azure AD with the right permissions to set up an integration.
- You have connected Azure AD to Staffbase Email.
Any custom fields that you want to exclude must be imported and mapped.
- The Azure AD data is properly formatted and cleaned in order to allow for optional exclusions of certain contacts.
Your IT team may need to assist with this, or you may choose not to exclude any contacts.
Choosing Azure AD Lists to Sync
When you set up your Azure AD integration you have the option to choose which lists you want to sync to Staffbase Email.
Key information about list syncing
- If your organization has more than 1000 distribution lists available to choose from, you are prompted to use the Bulk Selector and upload a CSV file containing the names of the lists that you want to sync.
A sample CSV file is available to download from the Bulk Selector dialog.
This file must contain only the names of the lists, and they must be an exact match.
- To sync additional lists from your AD using the Bulk Selector at a later time, upload a new CSV file that only contains the name(s) of the new list(s) that you want to add.
Lists that have already been synced are not affected by this additional upload. Their names do not need to be included in the new CSV file.
- There is a limit of syncing 50,000 lists per integration.
- Lists are automatically synced on a regular schedule, and you can do a manual sync at any time.
- Any lists composed of other nested lists will be flattened on import.
- Lists synced from your AD can only be edited in your AD, not in Staffbase Email.
- You can use your browser's Find feature to search for a list that you want to select.
Hold down Command + F on Mac or Control + F on PC.
- The Display Name of each list that you import from your organization’s AD becomes the distribution list name in Staffbase Email.
- If any of the lists you import have the same Display Name as a previously existing list, “copy” is added to the end of the most recently created list name.
If you are using Microsoft 365, upgrade your group distribution lists using Microsoft 365 Groups.
Microsoft 365 Groups work with the Microsoft 365 tools you use already, enabling you to collaborate with your teammates when writing documents, creating spreadsheets, working on project plans, scheduling meetings, or sending emails.
Click here to learn why Microsoft suggests upgrading your distribution lists to groups in Outlook.
Excluding Contacts From Sync
Your IT team may also need to help properly format and clean your AD data to allow for exclusions. You may choose not to exclude any contacts.
Excluding contacts allows you to set up filters based on contact attribute fields. When you finish importing from Azure AD, employee profiles that match these exclusion filters will not be included in your Staffbase Email contacts.
For example, you might want to exclude any employees who are currently on a leave of absence and do not need to receive emails from you until they return.
To exclude those contacts, you would look for an AD attribute field named "Employee status" and exclude employees who are listed as "Inactive". When a contact’s status changes to “Active” again in the AD, they are imported to Staffbase Email in the next daily sync.
Your organization may use different AD attribute field names or values from the ones in this example.
Key information about excluding contacts
- The exclusion attribute that you type in manually must exactly match the AD attribute value, including capitalization.
For example, if you want to exclude employees who are listed as "Inactive" but you type “inactive” with a lowercase “i”, this filter will not exclude any contacts.
- When you choose to exclude contacts where a specific AD attribute field is empty:
Any blank, undefined, null, or nil values in this field are captured.
If the field contains only space(s) this is also captured.
- When you choose to exclude contacts where a specific AD attribute field has any value:
Any alphanumeric or special characters in this field are captured.
Fields with only space(s) are not captured.