After you have uploaded or synced contacts into your Staffbase Email directory, you can filter them to create custom distribution lists based on their different attributes.
Distribution lists are groups of contacts who all need to receive the same communications at the same time. For example, contacts who are all located in Vancouver would all be in the same distribution list.
Attributes are the characteristics that differentiate one recipient from another, which enable you to segment your audience and target your communications to specific groups. Filtering based on attributes allows you to be in complete control of the data so you can send communications to any segments you choose.
Starting August 10, 2022, the Staffbase Email web app also has updated distribution list sharing options that let you control which individual users as well as which groups have permission to send emails to your custom and synced distribution lists or edit them.
Note: This functionality is only available if you send emails directly from the Staffbase Email web app. This article is not relevant if you have installed an add-in or extension and you send tracked emails from your email client.
- Your organization has added contacts to the Staffbase Email web app via CSV upload or by syncing contacts from Azure Active Directory / Workday.
Types of Custom Distribution Lists
People are more likely to open emails that are clearly relevant to them, especially if they arrive at a convenient time for their time zone when they are able to access their inbox.
With the flexibility to create your own private custom distribution lists, you can experiment by filtering your contacts in a variety of ways to find what works best for your organization.
You can create simple lists based on single filters, such as:
- Specific teams/departments
- Management tiers
- Office locations
Alternately, you can create complex lists, for example:
- Contacts in the same management tier, except for those in a particular location
- Recent hires in a specific location, except for those with a particular job title
Creating a Custom Distribution List
- On the Contacts page of the Staffbase Email web app, click Create Filter.
- Choose the attributes that you will include and/or exclude to define the group that you are targeting.
To add them to the filter you are creating, click Apply.Note: Starting August 10, 2022, you have the option to choose the Email attribute and search for specific contacts by keywords or letters in their email addresses.
- Optionally, add more subgroups of attributes that you want to filter for.
- Click Save as List.
- Give the list a name.
- Save the list as Dynamic or Static.
Note: Dynamic lists constantly update when your contacts' attributes change.
Static lists keep the same manually-edited list of contacts even when attributes change.
You have created a custom distribution list that you can view, edit, and share in the Distribution Lists tab.
Now you are able to send emails to your custom list.