If you want to link or embed login-protected content or services from outside the platform, the SAML Integrations plugin is one option that creates a seamless user experience. Once your IT configured the connection in the SAML Integrations plugin, app users that are logged in to the Staffbase platform can automatically access the login-protected content or service. The SAML Integrations plugin uses the SAML protocol, an industry standard, to authenticate a user’s identity between two systems. This is a valuable feature that makes confidential company data accessible in your employee platform or gives access to third-party services in a secure manner.
Embedding Login-Protected Content and Services with the SAML Integrations Plugin
- Get support from your IT department to set up the SAML Integrations plugin for the SSO login.
After the connection is readily configured, you can make final adjustments before publishing.
- In the Experience Studio, navigate to SAML Integrations.
- Click the SAML connection that you want to embed.
- Optionally, use the Live preview to see how the embedded content or service will look for your users.
- Optionally, click the gear wheel to open the settings and configure the visibility, editors, or further settings for this SAML integration and save them.
- Click Publish to embed the login-protected content or service.
A new menu item with the embedded service is added to the platform.
Deeplinking to a Sub-Page of the Login-Protected Service
One great advantage of embedding with the SAML Integrations plugin is that you can directly link to a sub-page in the external content or service. This is called deeplinking. The sub-page in the external content or service is then embedded within the platform and appears to be a normal page within the app. The users will neither notice the login, nor that the content or service is provided from an external source.
- You have the complete link to the sub-page in the external content or service.
- The provider of the external content supports the SAML RelayState. More information on the SAML RelayState in the official SAML documentation.
- Configure the SAML connection as described with the help of your IT department.
- Navigate to the SSO connection that gives access to the sub-page you want to link.
- Click the gear wheel to open the settings.
- For Visibility in the app, configure the SAML connection as For all users.
- For Show in menu on, deselect the desktop and mobile icon.
- Click Save.
- Click Publish.
The SAML connection works but is not visible to your users in the menu. To give your users access to the sub-page, you now configure the deeplink.
- Click Preview.
- Copy the link.
- Paste the link in a text editing tool.
The link must not contain any spaces or hard breaks. If the link runs on to a new line in the text editor, this is fine.
- Adjust the link as follows:
- Add the path to the sub-page of the external service at the end /path-to-sub-page… (e.g. https://app.yourcompany.com/content/saml/contentID123456/path-to-sub-page)
- If you want to use the link outside the app, add /openlink/ after your custom domain. This enables the content from outside your platform to get embedded. (e.g. https://app.yourcompany.com/openlink/content/saml/contentID123456/path-to-sub-page
How Users Will View the Embedded Content in the App
For example, embed your Idea Portal with the SAML Integrations plugin and make it accessible as a menu item:
With the deeplinking technology, directly show a very popular idea in your idea portal: